Your career is demanding – I get it. Your job description says 9-5, but many times you’re working far beyond that. So how do you possibly stay productive throughout all hours of the day? And especially when the 3 o’clock slump hits?
I’m Ryan Evans, CEO, and Founder of Elamant – an international company that is passionate about providing you with the high-income skills and emotional intelligence needed to succeed in your profession. Today, I will outline 4 tips to help you stay productive.
START YOUR DAY RIGHT
How your morning goes will likely define the rest of your workday. That’s why it’s so important to start the day right. Many of us are guilty of waking up and going right into work mode, but it’s critical you give yourself time to think before you clock in. Some great ways to kickstart the day include…
– Having a good breakfast
– Spending time alone
– Setting goals
The next step towards productivity starts at the root of the problem – distractions. And what is your biggest distraction? It’s likely that it would be your cell phone or device. I know – you will probably need it for work-related calls and other tasks, but here is my best advice for making sure you aren’t swaying from the real responsibilities at hand.
– Turn off unnecessary notifications like the family group text, shopping apps, or anything you don’t need to see on the clock.
– Flip your device onto its back side so you don’t lose focus when you see the all-consuming bright light.
– Put your device in a place that isn’t so close you’ll be tempted to scroll aimlessly but not too far to reach if you receive a work-related message.
MAKE A LIST (& DON’T MULTITASK!)
Where are all my list-makers at? If you’re like me and love checking things off your to-do list, you’re definitely going to appreciate this tip. So get out your notebook, and let’s get started. I once read an article that said to make lists of three, and it’s been a total lifesaver to me. First, you start with the things that need to be done that particular day. The second list is where you will put anything you would like to get done but isn’t necessarily urgent. Your last and final list should be things you would like to do at some point.
The key to making these three lists is to stay focused on one thing at a time – and whatever you do, DON’T try to multitask.
CHECK YOUR ATMOSPHERE
We can’t always control our work environment, and that’s okay. But there are things we can do to make the best of where we are! Here are some ideas.
– If you get distracted easily, you may want to buy a pair of noise-canceling headphones.
– Make sure your workspace is clean and organized. Avoid unnecessary clutter!
– Do you have everything you need on deck? This will look different for everyone, but notebooks, agendas, writing utensils, paper organizers, and an insulated cup are among some of my must-haves.
Staying productive throughout the workday can be a challenge, but it’s not impossible. With these 4 tips, you are sure to succeed!